Tuesday 17 August 2010

Any relevant work made during my BA

So at the top the work I made for my BA degre show (I studied at Byam Shaw School of Art). The work was comprised of three wall-hangings that worked as backdrops for a performative space. In the 'stage' space they made were hung costumes - rough costumes to summon characters from history (such as a hat for each of Henry VIII's wives, a necklace for Cleopatra, Helen of Troy's dress, Vlad the impaler's jacket, a gillet for Oliver Cromwell, some roman sandals). Within these costumes magnets were fitted. I was playing with the idea of time and attraction within movies, trying to express these ideas in their most un-glamorous and trivial way. Alongside the show I did a number of events - a storytelling of Beowolf, historical executions (see middle image), war-time cookery. It was all quite busy. I don't think my explanation makes much sense of it, so it's a good job it's old work.

Above is a third year performance - I made my own fireworks out of sugar, sparklers, oil pastels and sparkly tape. Unsuprisingly the whole performance involved un-deserved anticipation. 

 This mask was made for a third year performance. It involved me approaching a 'wolf' who was wearing the mask, and performing several tasks to make me more able to approach the wolf, such as taking off my shoes, socks, watch, licking some raw beef before throwing it to the wolf, approaching the wolf on all fours to sniff, then howling louder than the wolf. I had heard this brilliant thing on the radio by a man who had become the leader of a pack of animal sanctuary wolves over a number of years by approaching them using some of these tactics.

No comments:

Post a Comment